Monday, May 17, 2010

So Why Is It Called The Bird's Nest?

I never really liked birds. I mean they were okay, but I never admired them or wanted one as a pet or anything like that. I actually saw them as kind of a pest. My mom had one when Gabe, my oldest, was about a year and a half and it used to chase him around and try to bite people. So, yeah, birds weren't my thing.

Then my second son's accident happened. There was a song by the Beatles called Blackbird that played over and over in my head. I would sing it to him while he was in the hospital.

That's when birds gained a little more respect from me. It became almost a spiritual thing.

Birds are usually associated with flying and with freedom. Something I wish for my son, Christian. I wish him freedom from his little locked up body. Freedom to move, freedom to smile.

We're also learning to fly as a family, finding freedom along the way.

I often refer to myself quite a bit as a Mama Bear and my babies as my bear cubs. But calling my new blog The Bear's Den sounded a little wilderness-ski-lodgy to me. I'm all about getting all Mama Bear on someone messing with my cubbies, don't get me wrong. But I'm not into dens. I'm much more of a nester.

And I hope I have a nice, comfy nest for my baby birds. I hope once they learn to fly and build nests of their own, they'll always fly home for a visit.
blog comments powered by Disqus