Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Bird's Nest

For Mother's Day this year I decided to give myself something...a new blog!

Oh, that's exciting. Another mommy blog. Just what we all need.

I know, I know.

But, this is how I came to give myself this gift.

I've been blogging about my son, Christian's, accident since July of 2009. We have so much support for that blog and many weekly and even daily visitors. The support, comments, and prayers have been overwhelming and I'm forever grateful. We feel the love!

Coming out of the shock of this brand new life as a family with a special needs child, a family hit by tragedy, a family facing challenges beyond what we would have ever planned, something else remained.

That something was our life. We picked up the pieces and cleared away debris.  And there, rising from the dust was our little life. The mommy and the daddy and the kids and the dog. All together, all alive, and all ready to continue living.

So here we are. Here I am.

After feeling such catharsis from writing about my son's journey, I realized I was talking more and more about my journey as his mom. I started asking myself: Is this blog really about Christian's journey or my journey?

I guess it's fine if it's both of our journeys. And since he can't speak for himself, I can speak for him and tell his story and our story as a family.

But then I started wanting to write about other things. Oh, I dunno. Like the other kids I gave birth to that are just as important and loved. They also have a huge part of my heart and there are day to day things that happen that I might was to write about, but I don't feel it quite fits into Christian's blog.

There are also things I want to write about that have nothing to do with special needs or appointments or struggle. Sometimes I just want to write about a really good dinner I made (I'm not a great cook, my husband is the cook in the family, but I try really, really hard), an article I read about parenting, a long needed date I had with my husband, or my baby girl's first steps.

That doesn't mean I won't write about Christian and his accomplishments and struggles here. That's the point, The Bird's Nest is where I can write about anything I want.

Alright, so it's total self indulgence. Sue me. It's my Mother's Day gift to me.
blog comments powered by Disqus